ARTICLE I - NAME
name of this organization shall be the Human Communication and Technology
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
purpose of this Division will be to promote research and study in the area of
technology and communication in the university and corporate environment.
The Division is concerned with the broad spectrum of issues relevant to this
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
is open to members in good standing of National Communication Association (NCA), who are interested in the area of
technology and communication and who register such interest with the NCA
National Office by selecting this Division (#29) for membership.
IV - OFFICERS
The Officers of the Division must
be voting members and will consist of the Chairperson, the Vice
Chairperson, the Vice Chairperson Elect, the Secretary, the Immediate Past Chairperson, the Information Officer, and a Student Representative
- The Founding Members will be
recognized with this continuing title, but will be non-voting members and will serve as guides, along with elected members
- Paper Reviewers will be recruited or appointed by the officers for a one-year term.
Officer Positions and Division Roles
The Division Chairperson shall have the authority to request funds from the NCA national office and to authorize release of the Division funds. The Chairperson shall preside at the business meetings of the Division as well as appoint and empower Ad Hoc Committees as necessary. They will also work in conjunction with the Vice Chairperson to coordinate the planning process. The Chairperson will also serve as one of the Legislative Assembly Representatives for the Division. Upon completion of the one year term, the Chairperson will have the title of Immediate Past Chairperson for one year.
The Vice Chairperson will succeed to the Office of Chairperson after serving the year with the following duties. They will serve as program planner and take the responsibility for developing the call for papers, finding paper readers to jury the manuscripts and programs. They will attend the appropriate meetings for program planners and submit the appropriate number and selection of programs. They will work in conjunction with the Division Chairperson to coordinate the planning process. In the event that the Division requires a third representative on the Legislative Assembly, the Vice Chairperson will serve in that capacity.
The Vice Chairperson Elect will succeed to the Office of Vice Chairperson after serving the year with the following duties. They will serve as editor, producer and distributor of the Division newsletters. At least four newsletters will be published annually. One newsletter will be produced prior to the annual convention and business meeting in November. A second newsletter will be produced following the annual convention focusing on updates from the meeting and the call for papers for the following year’s convention. Additional newsletters will be produced as needed during the year.
Office of Secretary will serve a two-year term with the following duties. Minutes and agendas of the previous year’s business meeting will be distributed at the annual business meeting. They will also take minutes at the current year’s business meeting. They will also work to increase membership in the Division and maintain membership lists. They will also assist other division officers as needed. This position is elected every other year at the Division business meeting.
Legislative Assembly Representatives – The Legislative Assembly Representatives for the Division shall consist of the Immediate Past Chairperson and the current Chairperson.
Information Officer – The Information Officer is responsible for the maintenance and changes to the division web page(s) and for archiving Division minutes and related business in coordination with the Executive Board.
Student Representative – This position is to be held by a graduate student in the process of attaining either their master’s degree or doctorate. The duties of this position include the recruitment of new student members to the Division, coordinating and soliciting student manuscripts for the Division. Additionally, they may be asked to assist other officers as needed.
Election and Succession Procedures
The Secretary will be elected by a majority vote of those voting members present at the Annual Business Meeting every other year. Those persons may nominate themselves or be nominated from the floor at the meeting.
- The Vice-Chair Elect will be elected by a majority vote of those voting members present at the Annual Business Meeting. Those persons may nominate themselves or be nominated from the floor at the meeting.
- At the completion of one year of service in the Vice-Chairperson Elect, Vice Chairperson, and Chairperson position, each of these officers will succeed to the next office in the following order:
- Vice Chairperson Elect to Vice Chair
- Vice Chairperson to Division Chairperson
- Division Chairperson to Immediate Past Division Chairperson
- In the event of a vacation of an office, the Executive Board will be empowered to appoint an individual to fill the vacancy.
- Legislative Assembly Representatives for the Division are determined by their position in the officer leadership procession, with the two primary representatives consisting of the Division Chairperson and the Immediate Past Division Chairperson. In the event that additional spaces are allowed from the Division on the Legislative Assembly, the Vice Chair shall serve in this capacity. If one of the above officers is unable to serve the Division in this capacity, the Division Chairperson can nominate another Division officer or former officer to serve in their place. A Legislative Assembly representative must have a minimum of two years of service to the Division in a leadership position.
- The Division Chairperson, in consultation with the other officers, will appoint someone to the Information Officer position whenever there is a vacancy. The Information Officer position is not tied to the regular procession of officer leadership.
- The Student Representative position will be elected each year. This position is not tied to the regular procession of officer leadership. A Student Representative may be re-elected to this position.
V - MEETINGS
The Annual Business Meeting(s) will be held each year during the Fall NCA Convention. The Chair and each officer will present a report to the membership. Additional information and input from the membership will also be discussed.
VI - EXECUTIVE BOARD
The Executive Board will consist of the current Chairperson and Vice Chairperson and the Immediate Past Chairperson. Founding Members can be called upon for council, but will be non-voting members of the board
The Executive Board will act in the stead of the organization between Annual Business Meetings.
VII - AD HOC COMMITTEES
The Executive Board is
empowered to appoint ad hoc committees as needed. Ad hoc committees will
exist for no longer than one calendar year. Ad hoc committee members may
ARTICLE VIII - ADOPTION AND
Changes to this document will be adopted by a majority vote of the members at the Annual Business Meeting and will appear in the first newsletter following the Annual Business Meeting.
Proposed amendments or changes to this document must be presented at least 30 days prior to an annual meeting to the Division Chairperson. The Division Chairperson will distribute them with the assistance of the other officers to the membership at the Annual Business Meeting. An opportunity to discuss proposed amendments must be provided at an annual meeting prior to the vote on the proposed amendment.
A majority of the voting members responding at the business meeting is necessary for the adoption of an amendment.
ARTICLE IX - PARLIMENTARY AUTHORITY
In the absence of any provision to the contrary in the Bylaws, all business meetings of the Division and other subsidiary bodies shall be governed by parliamentary rules and usages contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, New Revised.
Bylaw revisions approved by unanimous vote at the 2007 Annual Business Meeting